Worker Diagnosed With Hep A At Gray Summit Restaurant; Vaccination Clinic On Thursday
The Franklin County Health Department reported Wednesday that Hepatitis A was diagnosed in an employee who handled food at Roadhouse 100 in Gray Summit, located at 2763 Highway 100.
According to the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, the employee worked while infectious from June 23 to July 5.
Roadhouse 100 is working with the health department to prevent any new illnesses from arising in the community, according to DHSS.
“While it is uncommon for restaurant patrons to become infected with hepatitis A virus due to an infected food handler, anyone who consumed food or drink at Roadhouse 100 during the dates of June 26 to July 5 is recommended to receive the hepatitis A vaccination within 14 days following the exposure,” said the release. “Persons who are concerned about the hepatitis A outbreak, but did not consume food or drink at the Roadhouse 100 during the dates noted are asked not to come to the vaccination clinics scheduled for patrons of the restaurant.”
For questions or to schedule an appointment, residents are urged to contact the Franklin County Health Department at 636-583-7300.
The health department will be providing no-cost vaccinations for patrons of Roadhouse 100 who consumed food or drink during the dates of June 26 through July 5 at 414 East Main Street in Union on Thursday, July 11 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Hep A Outbreak
The latest case comes as the county health department administered 848 hepatitis A vaccines in June, according to the Washington Missourian.
The Missourian reported that Jack in the Box in Union was temporarily shut down on June 20 after an employee was diagnosed with hepatitis A.
Public health supervisor Tony Buel told the Missourian the new cases were connected to cases reported in January.
Hepatitis A is a viral infection of the liver that can cause loss of appetite, nausea, tiredness, fever, stomach pain, brown colored urine, and light colored stools. Yellowing of the skin or eyes might also occur. People can become ill up to 7 weeks after being exposed to the virus. If you think you have symptoms of hepatitis A, you should contact your health care provider.
Hepatitis A usually spreads when a person unknowingly ingests the virus from objects, food, or drinks contaminated by small, undetected amounts of stool (poop) from an infected person. Careful hand washing with soap and water, including under the fingernails, after using the bathroom or changing diapers and before preparing or eating food will help prevent the spread of this disease.
For further information about hepatitis A, follow this link: https://health.mo.gov/living/healthcondiseases/communicable/hepatitisa/index.php