Highway C Bridge Among Top Regional Transportation Needs
The Meramec Region Transportation Advisory Committee voted December 13 to place the one-lane bridge over the Little Bourbeuse River on Highway C as one of the top priorities.
Improvements to Highway 63 and Highway 50 in Maries, Osage and Gasconade counties remain the top overall priorities.
After those two projects were voted as the region’s top priorities, TAC members from each county shared additional needs. The committee then voted to prioritize these additional needs, which was approved by the Meramec Regional Planning Commission (MRPC) board.
The list now goes to the Missouri Department of Transportation Central District Office to be considered for inclusion in the Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP).
The STIP is a five-year rolling plan for design and construction projects.
Crawford County already has a few projects in the STIP, including safety improvements on Highway 49, a bridge over Dry Creek on Highway 49 and a bridge over Brush Creek on Highway CC.
The Highway C bridge has been the commission’s top priority for several years running. It has recently been downgraded to being in “poor” condition.
A Central District meeting will be held in January. There are 21 applications competing for $1.89 million and requests total $6.22 million. A final decision is expected next month.
Other transportation priorities include:
- Add two left turn lanes from Missouri Avenue to Eastlawn Drive in Pulaski County;
- Replace bridge over Gladden Creek on Highway 19 in Dent County;
- Improve safety to the intersection of Highway E and Highway 63 in Osage County;
- Replace bridge over Big River on Highway C in Washington County;
- Make safety improvements to the intersection of Highway 63 and Highway 28 (north junction) in Maries County;
- Address width concerns with bridge over Frene Creek on Highway 19 in Gasconade County;
- Improve traffic flow on Highway 63 from University Drive to the Interstate 44 overpass in Rolla, Phelps County;
- Improve safety at Highway J and Highway 100 intersection in Gasconade County;
- Replace bridge over Dry Creek on Highway HH in Crawford County;
- Improve safety at intersection of Highway CC, CR 801 and Highway 50 at State Technical College of Missouri in Linn, Osage County;
- Construct new bridge over Gasconade River at Highway J since the ferry service has discontinued; and
- Add shoulders to Highway 133 in Maries County.
Persons needing more information on MRPC’s Transportation Advisory Committee may contact MRPC at (573) 265-2993. The group will meet again at 4 p.m. April 13 at MRPC, 4 Industrial Dr., St. James. Meetings are open to the public. John Casey of Washington County chairs the TAC.